During Jay's Thanksgiving toast, he honors the entire family on their recent successes, even though everyone knows that isn't quite true. As everyone desperately tries to hide the facts about their perceived triumphs, Phil works hard to master a classic magic trick and prove he's not the family failure.
This is Thanksgiving. Jay honors the entire family on their recent success but Phil feels like an outcast because with Haley they practiced a magic tour which did not happen very well.
However, secrets are revealed as Jay actually got Joe fired from kindergarten, Manny and Luke wanted popularity with an Inseam application, Claire inadvertently cheated during a race, Gloria wrongly uses a pedometer and Cameron stole his opponent's strategy during a game.
Mitch, on the other side, pretended to get rid of a burglar but he actually decided to practice a martial sport and ended up knocking himself with nunchakus.
Phil practices the tour in front of the family but it fails and he almost drowns... until he reveals that he tricked them and gets some applauses.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Alex Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Teri Gamble as Principal
- Lesley Braun as Upper Valley Coach
- Joseph Callari as Congressman Morley
- Xavier Shelton as Football Player
- Mitch calls Cam by his full name in this episode.
- This is the fifth Thanksgiving episode, after "Punkin Chunkin" (2011), "Three Turkeys" (2014), "Phil's Sexy, Sexy House" (2015) and "Thanksgiving Jamboree" (2016).
- The Football player and Congressman return in this episode.
- Luke and Joe interact with one another for the first time in this episode.
- The title refers to the phrase "Winner, winner, chicken dinner!", which is said to go back to Las Vegas slang -- the minimum bet was $2, and a chicken dinner was $1.79, so if you won a small bet you would have enough to buy a dinner.
- The A.V. Club